Q: I am returning home after living in London with my husband and children for the past three years. The constant lockdowns over the past 18 months has put too much strain on our marriage. Once we are back in New Zealand I will be telling my husband that I want to separate. I am very nervous about spending 14 days in managed isolation with him. His temper has been getting worse and he has taken it out on me recently. I want to make sure I am ready to leave as soon as quarantine is over. What can I do to protect myself and my children and make sure we are in the best position possible to leave him?

There are many steps that can be taken to ensure that you and your children are safe and protected during and after separation.

Unfortunately isolation in a hotel room can bring out the worst in people. The police have had to respond to incidents of family violence while families were in managed isolation. If you feel that you or your children may be in danger there is help available.

Organisations such as the Women’s Refuge (0800 REFUGE) and Shine (0508 744 633) have 24/7 hotlines if you need information, advice or support regarding family violence. They should be able to help coordinate with the MIQ facility to have you separated from your partner. If you feel yourself or your children are in danger at any stage, call the police on 111 (if it is unsafe to speak push 55).

Read the rest of the article on the NZ Herald.