Young love can put valuable assets at risk. Photo / Getty Images

Q: My daughter wants to buy an electric vehicle (EV) to obtain the government subsidy. But she cannot afford to do this without family support. I am also keen to buy her a new jetski for her 21st birthday. Finally, I want to give her original art pieces. She has had a partner for more than 18 months, but the other person was at university in another city. Since lockdown they have moved in with them and it has got serious. They haven’t lived in the same city for more than six months. What can I do to protect her, and the family, should she split up with her partner?

A: The law makes a presumption that any partner is entitled to share equally in the family home, family chattels in any other relationship property after a period of three years.

If you were to financially provide for her in buying the EV, that would become relationship property after she had been in a relationship for three years.

De facto factors

First, you need to consider when the de facto relationship has begun. There is guidance from the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 as to relevant factors that are to be included.

Continue reading this article on the NZ Herald.