Child support payments can be made either privately, or through the Inland Revenue Department. In general the Family Court enforces payments under the Child Support Act 1991.


If you don’t pay your child support, the Family Court is able to summons you to appear to look at the payment arrangements you are making. The Family Court, for example, may write off or suspend amounts that you owe.


The Family Court also has power to sentence you to a term of imprisonment. If the Family Court believes that you are about to leave New Zealand and avoid paying child support, it can issue a warrant for your arrest.


You’ll find more on this topic in this article.   If you need advice on Child Support payments and what you are liable for, contact Jeremy Sutton.


“The information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of any particular case. This information is no substitute for legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship; you are advised to consult with a lawyer on any legal issue.”