- What was called “divorce” is now termed “dissolution”.
- You need to live apart for a period of two years. There is no exception to this rule.
- At least one of you must normally live in New Zealand when you apply.
- You can make a joint or single application.
- If you have been married overseas, you can still apply for a divorce, as long as one of you normally lives in New Zealand.
- There is a Family Court filing fee to apply. In most cases people can apply for a divorce without needing to use the services of a lawyer. Common occurrence where we as lawyers get involved is when it is difficult to locate the other party.
“The information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of any particular case. This information is no substitute for legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship; you are advised to consult with a lawyer on any legal issue.”